Together we can make our roads safer!
Part Worn Tyres and the Law
Under The Motor Vehicle Tyres (Safety) Regulations 1994 (reg.7.) which are part of the Consumer Protection Act, it is an offence for anyone to sell part worn tyres that do not meet the following principal requirements:
- The structural integrity must not be compromised.
- It should be free of large cuts, any bulges or lumps both internally and externally.
- No plies or cords should be exposed.
- Tyres must have passed an inflation test prior to sale.
- The original grooves must still be clearly visible in their entirety and must be to a depth of at least 2mm across the full breadth of the tread, around its entire circumference.
- Part worn tyres that have not been re-treaded must clearly show the relevant ‘E’ mark alongside which ‘PART-WORN’ must be permanently and legibly applied in letters at least 4mm high.
- These words cannot be hot branded or cut into the tyre.
Part-worn tyres that have been re-treaded must have one of the following:
- BS AU 144b, 144c, 144d, or 144e markings on the sidewall (if first supplied as a re-tread on or before 31 December 2003 an ECE approval mark (if first supplied as a re-tread on or after 1 January 2004)
- A permanent mark to identify the original model and manufacturer, the word ‘RETREAD’ moulded onto or into its sidewall (in upper case letters at least 4mm high) and further markings in accordance with ECE rules. You may need to seek further advice as to which rules apply
- The indication ‘PART WORN’ must also appear next to the BS or ECE approval mark, or next to the word ‘RETREAD’
- For tyres marked BS AU 144e, a speed category symbol and load capacity marking should be present.
- A tyre has to comply with all these requirements whether or not it is fitted to a rim.
Here at Simply Tyres, we offer an affordable mobile tyre fitting alternative to part worn. Our expert mobile tyre fitting technicians have all of the expertise and equipment that you would expect in a traditional tyre fitting centre but we come to you. Hassle free, stress free with the priority on Safety!
For more information please call 01164 03 03 03 or visit our online ordering page.
We operate our professional mobile tyre fitting service across Leicester and Leicestershire from our Head Office based at 3 Oswin Road, Leicester UK.